In case you missed it, Bookish revealed the cover for the first book in the Beast Charmer trilogy, Kingdom of Exiles by Maxym M. Martineau, last week, and we. are. obsessed. We charmed Maxym's editor Mary into dishing all the secrets about the book!
When Stefani asked if I could spill some behind-the-scenes details about Maxym M. Martineau’s upcoming book, Kingdom of Exiles, I was beside myself. Secrets? Insider scoop? Girl, I got you covered
Exiled beast charmer Leena Edenfrell has the realm’s most talented murderer-for-hire nipping at her heels—until she makes him an offer he can’t refuse… (And believe me, once you meet Noc, you won’t want to refuse him either!)
So without further ado:
EVERYTHING I’M ALLOWED TO SHARE (AND A FEW THINGS I’M NOT!) ABOUT KINGDOM OF EXILES.
1. Kingdom of Exiles was pitched as “Assassin’s Creed meets Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them”. Honestly, I’ve never seen a more accurate framing device in my life! (Though a few of the production editors have started lovingly referring to it as “that awesome Pokémon book everyone’s so obsessed with”.)
2. The series (The Beast Charmer) will follow Noc and Leena through three books. Thank God, too, because I am not ready to see their romance end. At the end of Book One, we discover that Noc is [REDACTED]! And that he’s going to have to [REDACTED] or Leena will [REDACTED]. It’s all very [REDACTED].
3. Book two is titled…wait, did you really think I was going to share that already? You have to stay tuned for that one!
4. The cover is probably the coolest thing you’ll see all year. I mean, just look at it.
5. That awesome-looking beast in the background is called a Myad. It is one of six legendary felines and is notoriously difficult to tame. How difficult? Here’s a sneak peek at the bestiary:
Taming a Myad is a dangerous three-step process. First, the Charmer must acquire the blood of a murderer, freely given, and present it to the beast. Second, they must offer a token of loyalty with high personal value. And finally, they must allow the beast to bite them, thus spurring a connection that enables the Myad to review memories and determine worth. Throughout the entire process, the Charmer must not scream, because that will break the Myad’s concentration, causing it to either flee or attack. If the Charmer can survive the evaluation of their past, the Myad will grant permission to tame.
6. Yes, you heard that right--Kingdom of Exiles will have an illustrated bestiary!
7. The cover model, Christina Ionno, got so into character that she ended up charming local wildlife. Don’t believe me? Take a look at a raw image from the shoot!
8. There are four key assassins for you to fall in love with—and much like the boy bands of my youth, everyone around the office has been scrambling to claim “their” new book boyfriend. My favorite (other than the hero, of course)? He’s the one with the sharp eyes who has been SECRETLY PINING OVER [REDACTED] FOR DECADES!!!! *swoon*
9. No, I’m serious, I am so obsessed with him I’ve already begged the author to write his book once this series is done. Even the proofreader left little hearts strewn across the page.
10. “She was a Charmer, and I her unwilling assassin.” I take it back—Noc is my book boyfriend now and forever. Take me away, Noc!
Want more secrets? Reply and let me know! I’m always ready to spill the tea.
Your comment will be posted after it is approved.
Leave a Reply.